Hello folks.... Well hubby has a hammer and he used it good the other day.
Remember I told you this house was built in 1963 ? Well, they did things different then.... And oh what a frustration that can be to my husband many times
working on this house. Of course we are dealing with plaster walls instead of dry wall. The house has settled and it's out of square. Just so much fun.
We got some things finished and I can't wait to show you.
First off , the kitchen floor had ugly blue indoor/outdoor carpet. It wasn't original of course but it's been there for at least 25 years. Gotta go !!! We ripped that up and then started taking the counter top apart. I'm trying the old refinishing for that. Don't have the funds right now to replace it. Hubby also has to replace the water valves underneath, and we have a new sink and also putting in new faucet.
Well, in the corner was a nice little lazy Susan. It's functional, but I needed to get it apart to clean it and paint it.
Hubby's struggled for quite a bit to get it out and finally had enough. I gave in and said, " just rip it out, we'll figure out what to do with it after that "!
Handy Randy was more than happy to comply.
Here is a pic of the kitchen before we did much. Wallpaper was off in a few spots and that was it.
Then, some demolition began. Wallpaper removal, lights taken down, tile removed, you name it.
We also began sanding and priming the cabinets.
Ugly paneling !! 52 years of heavy smoking ... Nicotine imbedded in the wood. But I decided to scrub it and paint primer on it. It's still bleeding through a bit but I know eventually it will be ok. Just didn't want to deal with the holes that ripping it off a plaster wall would do.
Lazy Susan Gone !!!
Now onto a nice finish.
There used to be a small half wall in front entryway. Hubby removed that. We scraped the old linoleum and tar they used to adhere it to the floor with and sanded down to the hardwood.
The wall behind the television had hideous plastic fake brick and wow. Talk about wanting it to not come off. The glue that was on this stuff was like gorilla glue in steroids !!! Nothing would take it off !! Tried mineral spirits, heating and scraping, sanding you name it.
Finally decided to put up beadboard 3/4 of the way up the wall. Hubby then put skim coat over the rest of the wall with the adhesive.
I'm so proud of my husband !!
We are on a limited budget, and we both wanted a nice ledge on top of the beadboard.
We have some scrap wood and trim I've saved for projects , so we ripped a big piece down the center to make a 3 1/2" ledge. Then Handy Randy took his router and made a nice edge and sanded down
We painted the wall and trim etc with a few coats of primer.
Now, we've learned that prepping is everything.
Spent an entire day taping of the living room. And then ta da painting commenced and was quickly finished. So here are some pics.
Then.... I took the ceiling fan apart and spray painted the hardware with a rubbed bronze and re painted the dark wooden blades.
Say a prayer we get things finished soon !!!