Bird In The Hand Primitives

Primitive Folk Art Designs and Finished Items
By: Robin Leuschen

" Who you are is God's gift to you........ What you do, is your gift to God !"

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

New rug started, new tracing method, talented ladies at it again !!


Hello all.... I hope this finds everyone feeling better than I was for awhile....Hubby was even home from work for days...yucky cough, congestion, ear ache, sore throat.... I'm much better and well, hubbs is going to work tomorrow...
I wanted to show you all, a method that is new to me, for tracing my designs onto my linen...Alot of you probably already use this method, so this might be a boring post for you, but for those that haven't tried this yet, I'm here to tell ya it is AWESOME !!!
I was reading on someone's blog, and forgive me, I travel around so much in blogland, I cannot for the life of me remember who's blog it was, but I am so grateful I happened upon it, but it is " using tulle ( bridal veil fabric) for tracing and transferring your designs to linen...
When I visited the Country Craft Cupboard a few weeks ago, we were discussing this also, and Melanie ( from the store), told me to make sure to buy the thicker stiffer kind.
I took one the wagon from this doodle and re-did the design, added a beeskep, changed alphabet a bit...enlarged the pattern.

Now,just lay the veil fabric over the enlarged pattern...( make sure to pin it )

This is what it looks like when you trace it onto the fabric with a sharpie marker....( I took the pics after I had done all of this, so I laid the fabric with the traced design on it over the backside of the pattern to show you...

Lay it over your linen or monks cloth...trace right over it with your Sharpie and it goes right through onto your linen or monks cloth and Voila !!! And...you can re-use it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now....some talented ladies at work again :
Doris (luv2punch) is in an Americana mood...she punched this design from my America and Angels Doodles :

Rebecca ( goodwool) has done it again, with her own version of my Spring Barnyard Wool Applique Pattern done in Needle Punch :

Next, Sher from Old Crow Farm hooked this sweet rug using one of my Spring Thyme Doodles ..she omitted the words "Gentle Pastures"...look at the soft colors....love it !

Hope you are all being creative, constructive and happy !
Robin

11 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I have not tried the tulle I use the red dot. Not a big fan on tracing a pattern on a backing I aways screw it up some how.
Cathy

Kathy (woolfind) said...

From beginning her first rug to now giving tutorials... I LOVE IT!!! Keep it up Robin :) You are sure to inspire lots of new rug hookers!! Really sweet pattern!

Sher said...

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the tutorial, I now know to use the stiffer tulle to trace with which should help making tracing much easier!
All the handworks shared are wonderful, very talented gals indeed! I especially love the sheep pattern hooked by Sher Carter of Old Crow Farm. So glad she is geting her creative works out there for others to see and enjoy.
Thanks Robin for your kindness and generosity in sharing your wonderful creative inspirations and how-to tips!

Hugs,
Sherry ~ NY

Kim said...

The tulle is a great trick. I have used it a few times.

Doris said...

Glad you like the tulle method of tracing. Thanks for the tutorial, you make it look so easy!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Robin ~
I've not tried the tulle. I know I don't like red dot much. Another great product to try is screening like you buy at Home Depot or Lowe's. It is great because being stiff I find it stays in place better.
Pug hugs :-p
Lauren

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

well now that will make your job alot easier..and I am all about easy..and I love the items the other gals have made..they make your doodles look so good..but they did have a great design to begin with...just sayin.;)

WoolenSails said...

I have used that method too, great for small projects.
For larger ones and more detailed, I use a projector and sometimes I just draw it on by hand, no one can see the mess I make;)

Debbie

annie said...

I need to try that, thanks!

Anonymous said...

You are becoming so good at this..I want to try this and always wondered how the pattern was transfered..Now I know and am not as scared to give it a go..Thank you..

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Robin...goodness i always learn so much coming here...what a great tracing idea - I've messed up a few pieces of fabric by other methods...thank you (and whoever else!)
Lovely designs.
Karen